If we are cataloging a work, with a preface by someone other than the main
author, RDA 20.2.1 says this is a relationship between a person and an
expression.

The examples in RDA 20 list this as "Writer of Added Commentary, Etc."  In
Appendix I.3, "Relationship Designators for Persons, Families, and Corporate
Bodies Associated with an Expression" I see the following relationship
designators:

writer of added commentary A person, family, or corporate body contributing to
an expression of a work by providing an interpretation or critical explanation
of the original work.

writer of added text A person, family, or corporate body contributing to an
expression of a primarily non-textual work by providing text for the
non-textual work (e.g., writing captions for photographs, descriptions of maps).

If I wanted to give an access point for this person, and use a relationship
designator, would I have to use "writer of added commentary" (which is the
closest fit, I think, though not quite the same) or could I use "writer of
preface", which is not on the list?

Benjamin Abrahamse
Cataloging Coordinator
Acquisitions, Metadata and Enterprise Systems
MIT Libraries