On 22/10/2012 23:41, J. McRee Elrod wrote:
<snip>
> I see no advantage in combining 100/240 or 100/245 in nuMARC.  They
> only need to be combined in 600 and 700.
>
> In new title lists we print, we give the 100 once, with 245s after in
> alphabetic order.  I see no need to repeat the 100 in print or OPAC
> display before each title.
>
> I suspect we will abandon all print poducts with nuMARC, and leave our
> clients to cope in terms of OPAC display.  We've never seen an OPAC
> display we like better than unlabeled ISBD.  We agree with Martha Yee:
>
> http://slc.bc.ca/yee.pdf
</snip>

With modern systems, you can display anything however you want. So, if a
series of records authored by William Shakespeare is already displaying
"Shakespeare, William", you can tell the computer not to display it more
than once. It can be done in other ways too. For instance, if you search
Worldcat for William Shakespeare,
http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=william+shakespeare&qt=results_page,
you will see in the facets section "William Shakespeare (45010)". His
name only displays once, and it could appear only once in other ways on
the page. True, there is the unfortunate "Shakespeare William (383)"
which should represent 383 errors of different sorts such as no date,
wrong date, coding errors, etc.

I have personally never really understood the reasoning for 1xx/240 but
I have always assumed it had something to do with limitations on early
displays. I won't bring up single main entry vs. multiple main entries
again.

Still, I completely agree about the unlabeled ISBD display. In my
opinion, with the cards, people rarely understood the power and utility
of the tracings and these needed to be made more prominent--as they are
by turning them into hyperlinks. People have lots of trouble
understanding what they see in the catalog and how to use it, but I
don't think it has much--if anything--to do with the information in the
records and how it is displayed. The problems are much deeper. Besides,
they see far weirder things every day all over the web than they would
ever encounter in an unlabeled ISBD display.

--
*James Weinheimer* weinheimer.ji...@gmail.com
*First Thus* http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/