Heidrun said:

> One idea we've been discussing here in Germany is whether, although
> keeping to the "latest entry" approach, we should introduce new, well
> structured data fields in the internal data format of our serials union
> catalogue.

 While in MARC, MARC21 field 247 could be extended from integrating
 resources to all continuing resources.  This grants equal access by
 either title, and 247 could be included in brief displays.

 Repeating 264 solves the imprint problem.  Local programming would
 determine whether 264 bland indicator (original publisher) or 264
 indicator 3 (current publisher) should display first.

 As Heidrun points out, the differences would not be great.  An 008
 code could be created to distinguish first or lastest issue
 descriptions.

 There is no need to reinvent an existing wheel. we have 247 for
 earlier title.