On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM, Benjamin A Abrahamse <babra...@mit.edu> wrote:
> If we have a book that abridges another book, do we use MARC field 777
> (other relationship) to code the relationship? And is the $i text
> "abridgement of (work)" -- not capitalized as in RDA appendix J -- or can we
> capitalize it to match other 7xx $i (e.g.: 776 $i Online version:, etc.)?

Do you mean the 787?

As Joan mentioned, the linking fields' best use is for pointing to
other manifestations, though I don't see a problem with using these
when pointing to a work or expression and padding them with
manifestation information--that is, if there's perhaps only a single
publication of the source material.  How many bib records do you want
to link to with $w's.  At least get the name entry ($a) and, if
necessary, and the equivalent of a uniform title ($s or $t) so the
work bits get included in the 787 to cover the parenthetical suffix of
"abridgement of (work)".

Alternatively, reserve work and expression relationships to
non-linking entry notes and access points, and for manifestations use
generic or formal notes and linking entries.

Formatting the designator in bib records is an LC-PCC affectation
(LC-PCC PS 1.7.1 Bibliographic Linking Entries).  (The same thing for
5xx $i in LCNAF records.)  I don't think this is policy for OCLC
users, but it seems like everybody there is following the PS lead.  I
disagree with this formatting approach since it implies that the form
of these designators as found in Appendices I-K should be rendered the
same way on the public side.  Instead, I consider them "codes" in word
form.  Unfortunately, there's no way in MARC at present to use true
shorthand instead of spelled out forms, e.g.:

MARC: 787 08 $i abgw $a Doe, John. $t Title.... ==> stylesheet magic
==> OPAC: Abridgment of: Doe, John. Title....

If your system is capable, then formatting the designator isn't necessary, e.g.:

MARC: $i abridgement of (work) $a Doe, John.... ==> stylesheet magic
==> OPAC: Abridgment of: Doe, John....

Otherwise, I guess, just format the damn thing.

--
Mark K. Ehlert
Minitex