Mac wrote:

Heidrun said:

If you come upon a very long list of names, I believe it will (at
least in the >area of textual works) typically be for people who have
written an essay or a chapter in a collection. The example I cited,
for example, was a festschrift.
In which case there should be no 245/$c statement of responsibility,
but rather the author's names would be after their individual titles
in a contents note.

Mac, you're getting me quite confused. The names of the people who wrote the essays are actually listed on the title page. It is a second statement of responsibility, after the one naming the editors. So why shouldn't it be transcribed in 245/$c? Look at LC's record, where they've done exactly that:
http://lccn.loc.gov/2007478513
Of course, you can have a 505 in addition to this.

I was thinking of adding the "[and 52 others including ...]" to the
MRIs, but I don't recall in over 60 decades of cataloguing ever having
such a long statement of responsibility, as opposed to a contents note
for a collection, or video noncast and cast credits.

Perhaps there is a difference in how publishers design their title pages in Germany and the Anglo-American world. It is not so rare here to have these longish lists. As I said, they are usually not for joint authors in a collaborative work, but for people who have contributed an essay or a chapter to a compilation. I've seen it quite often e.g. in festschriften (what's the English plural for that??) or medical handbooks.

Here's an example where 50 names are presented in the second statement of responsibility (if I counted correctly), beginning with "mit Beiträgen von" (with contributions by):
http://www.gbv.de/du/services/toc/bs/475315316

I also tried to find a scan of the title page of one of my favourite examples:
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/64166998
but wasn't successful. But here is a PDF file of the table of contents:
http://tinyurl.com/afaaonf

Believe me: All of the people who appear somewhere in the TOC (as authors of a chapter) are listed on the t.p. as well - in an extremely long statement of responsibility.

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.