Hello,

I want to provide a 'model' record for training purposes for a resource
which is a dictionary of biography.  It has a consultant editor, 3
editors and 15 contributors.  The latter presumably did most of the
writing and are between them responsible for most of the
intellectual/artistic content of the resource, but because they are
responsible for different bits the work is a compilation, entered under
title.

'editor of compilation' seems right for the 3 editors.  I suppose that
the consultant editor will have to be just 'editor', but that doesn't
seem good for someone who presumably is offering guidance before and
during the writing rather than tidying it afterwards.  And what about
the contributors?  Is it legitimate to use 'author' for contributors to
a work entered under a title?  They are authors of their own bits, but
not creators with respect to the work as a whole, and 'author' is in the
creator list.  (I only plan to name one contributor - the rest will be
'[and fourteen others].')

A similar case: a compilation of photographs by many different people,
each, naturally, responsible for separate photos.  Could they be
'photographer'?   'illustrator' is not good, since the text is slight
and subordinate to the photos.

And if a composer sets a pre-existing poem to music, what relator term
should the poet get?  None of the creator list terms are available, and
'writer of added lyrics' presumes that the music predates the text.

Suggestions or clarifications would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Bernadette

Bernadette O'Reilly
Catalogue Support Librarian