Head of Cataloging and Database Maintenance
The Morgan Library & Museum
old...@themorgan.org

>>> JOHN C ATTIG <jx...@psu.edu> 3/7/2013 12:24 PM >>>
The RDA definition of volume requires that the sheets be "bound or fastened together".  If you do not believe that this applies, then I would use "sheet" as the carrier type.  I would probably describe the extent in terms of leaves or pages, and I would definitely make a note describing the unbound quires.

John Attig
Authority Control Librarian
Penn State University
jx...@psu.edu

From: "Rita Lifton" <rilif...@jtsa.edu>
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2013 11:17:32 AM
Subject: [RDA-L] Mss. cataloging question

Where in RDA would I find the following information:

I have a question about the carrier term for unbound quires or fragments of manuscripts. A codex=a volume; a sheet=leaves as letters, documents, loose leaves from a volume. What is the term for quires not yet bound or separated from a volume over time?

Thanks,

Rita Lifton

The Library of The Jewish Theological Seminary