RDA-L readers,

Final comment for the night :-)

RDA does not seem to handle accompanying material, such as a DVD disc published
with a book, in quite the way of the past.  If you try the "easy way" of going
to AACR2 1.5E and clicking on the RDA link, it takes you to27.1.1.3 Referencing
Related Manifestations (where an LC PCC PS link appears to be addressing a
totally different concern.).  I saw nothing in RDA advising to add a
description of the disc after the description of the book.  I tried another
"easy way," via Appendix D.2.1 Mapping of MARC 21 Bibliographic to RDAunder
field 300e, only to be directed to the same RDA instruction.

My view of this scenario is that both AACR2 and MARC represent a view of
accompanying material that must eventually be deprecated in favor of RDA's
approach.  But that is pretty radical talk.  I found an example of an RDA
record where accompanying material has been handled in field 300e as in the
past, and it was investigation of this situation that led me to my failure to
find instructions in support thereof.  Am I right?  Or am I missing something?

Sincerely - Ian

Ian Fairclough - George Mason University - ifairclough43...@yahoo.com