From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Heidrun Wiesenmüller
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 3:25 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Capitalization of approximately in 300

Amanda,

> All of the examples have approximately in lower case:
>
> approximately 60 slides
> approximately 600 pages
>
> Granted that RDA doesn't give things in MARC format, but as the first element
> shouldn't the approximately be capitalized?
>
> 300     Approximately 60 slides : $b etc.

I believe nobody has answered your question yet, so I'll give it a try.

I think the examples with "approximately" in lower case are correct according
to RDA. If you look at appendix A, you'll find that there are only very few
elements where the first word is to be capitalized, e.g.
titles of manifestations (A.4), designation of edition (A.5) and notes (A.8).
As the extent element is not among them, you simply use the ordinary spelling
of the words as if they would appear in a running text.

I guess this is another point where RDA differs from the ISBD. There, we have a
general rule that each area starts with a capitalized word (ISBD consolidated,
A.7: "In general, in those scripts where capitalization is relevant, the first
letter of the first word of each area should be a capital").

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.