Heidrun said:

>Now in RDA I cannot find an equivalent rule for square brackets in
>transcribed elements [to be transcribed as curves].

RDA accepts "transcribed" data in all caps and with title
capitalization, as well as the usual sentence capitalization.  This
is, I understand, in aid of using "captured" data.  I suspect leaving
the 'captured" brackets as brackets is also in aid of automated use of
existing data.

One no longer inserts bracketed data in the title*, whether "[sic]", a
supplied letter, or a corrected word.  There would be no *internal*
brackets for supplied data, only the whole title in brackets if from
outside the resource, or cataloguer provided such as for a collection
without a collective title.  Guess we will just have to live with this
ambiguity of brackets' meaning.

*On the other had we still repeat letters and words without brackets,
appearing only once in the source, if meant to be read twice.