Joseph, the 264 field is the RDA equivalent to the 260 field of AACR2
cataloging.  My understanding is that if you are cataloging a record using
RDA, and have coded your record as an RDA record, that you should use the
264 field.  It seems the 264 did not yet exist when the Library of
Congress and its testing partners were creating RDA records during the
testing period, so you will not see the 264 field in the RDA records from
the testing period, but in the Library of Congress's newer materials
relating to RDA they show the 264 field rather than the 260 field, and the
264 field appears in the LC-PCC Policy Statements to RDA.  If you are
cataloging a record utilizing AACR2, you would continue to use the 260
field.  I don't know for certain, but it seems you could also use the 264
field in an AACR2 record if your institution makes a distinction between
functions (publication, printing, distribution, issue, release or
production), but I don't believe it works the other way around, if you are
coding your bibliographic record as RDA, I don't believe you should use
the 260 field.

(If anyone else on the list feels I've made errors in my commentary,
please correct me!)

Sincerely,

Dana Van Meter

Cataloging Librarian