Back when I was tangentially involved with academia (domestic partners with a
professor), the academics considered theses and dissetations to be published
and counted them as publications on one's curriculum vitae. O ften the
dissertation was the academic's first official academic p ublication on the
vitae . That is, the people who produce and use these documents consider them
published.

Why AACR2 or RDA would  not consider them to be  "published" never made any
sense.

And now, because the carrier is different (electronic publication as opposed to
the 6 copies of the Word document turned in to the Committee), but the content
is the same,  the publication status is different. That makes even less sense.

Dawn Grattino
Senior Cataloger
Catalog Department
Cleveland Public Library