RDA-L readers,

The statement "illustrations (black and white)" is to be found in some
bibliographic records for print materials.  The records are coded as RDA.  RDA
has:

7.17.1.3  RecordingColour Content
If the content of the resource is in colours other than black and white or
shades of grey, record the presence of colour using an appropriate term.

Other instructions pertaining to specific types of material (still images,
moving images, three-dimensional forms) provide for describing them as black
and white, but I don't believe they apply to printed books.  (If I'm missing
something please advise.)

This poses a minor problem.  I'm upgrading such a record.  Technically the
phrase "black and white" doesn't belong in an OCLC master record, though a
cataloging agency might want to keep it locally.  Do I delete the phrase?

Alternatively, the RDA instruction can be adjusted to provide for specifying
black and white for printed matter rather than just still images, etc.

Incidentally: The LC-PCC PS tells us to use the spelling "color", a
recommendation I would urge upon my fellow Brits.  One less character to
(mis)type!

Ian Fairclough - George Mason University - ifairclough43...@yahoo.com