On 04/07/2013 18:07, Elizabeth O'Keefe wrote:
<snip>
> On a somewhat related issue (it was raised in Mac's post), is anyone
> else bothered by the display when only a death date is known?
>
> Smith, John, -1932
</snip>

I have experienced the same thing. I recently cataloged an item with the
subject heading:
Agatha, Saint, -approximately 250.

I copied and pasted it unthinkingly but when I was editing my record, I
couldn't understand what this meant, and it was only when I realized
that the earlier heading was:
**Agatha,**Saint,**d. ca. 250

and the "d." was changed to a hyphen, and the "ca." was changed to
"approximately", did I understand what the heading was supposed to say.
But that was only because I know the AACR2 heading.

The new heading is incoherent.

--
*James Weinheimer* weinheimer.ji...@gmail.com
*First Thus* http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/