From: Kathie Coblentz <kcobl...@nypl.org>
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Leaf (new RDA glossary term and definition)

To return to the original topic, the new RDA definitions of "leaf" and "page":

It occurs to me that there's something else wrong with the definition of
"page": "A unit of extent of text consisting of a single side of a leaf." It is
too "paper-centric," or perhaps I should say "sheet-centric," since we've
already established that volumes don't have to contain paper subunits only.

Electronic books can and do have pages. But they don't have leaves.

And e-books that are "born digital" never had them.

Kathie Coblentz, Rare Materials Cataloger
Collections Strategy/Special Formats Processing
The New York Public Library, Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
5th Avenue and 42nd Street, Room 313
New York, NY  10018
kathiecoble...@nypl.org

My opinions, not NYPL's