>thomas Brenndorfer said:
>>Generated from MARC codes, "objects" in my system are flagged as
>>"Three Dimensional Object (Artifact)" ...
>Please explain to me how an object could be one, two, or four
>dimensional. "Tooth dentist" as my Granny would  have said had I used
>a phrase like that.

>From http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bdleader.html

LDR/06=r

Three-dimensional artifact or naturally occurring object

"Includes man-made objects such as models, dioramas, games, puzzles,
simulations, sculptures and other three-dimensional art works, exhibits,
machines, clothing, toys, and stitchery. Also includes naturally occurring
objects such as, microscope specimens (or representations of them) and other
specimens mounted for viewing. "

There has been an historic categorization in MARC and AACR2 between
two-dimensional objects and three-dimensional objects.

The Content Type in RDA is about the human perceptions that are intended to be
used in accessing the content in a resource. If content is intended to be
apprehended or sensed primarily in three-dimensions then that aspect is drawn
out. In the RDA/ONIX framework for Content Type one checks off an attribute for
"two-dimensional" or "three-dimensional," in addition to other applicable
attributes such as visual perception or tactile perception. Each combination of
attributes produces a Content Type. The list in RDA in not exhaustive-- by
comparison, in ISBD Area 0, the olfactory and gustatory sensory modes are
accounted for in additional Content Types. For example, in ISBD Area 0, a
two-dimensional scratch and sniff card has the content type "Image (olfactory)".

If it's cartographic and a three-dimensional object, one has to use LDR/06=e.
Instead of blindly lumping things under "cartographic material," RDA pushes
forward with the root distinctions between Content Types, so one sees
cartographic resources in the context of their counterpart Content Types for
other resources, such as still images and three-dimensional forms, and their
tactile variations.

Not all three-dimensional forms have the unmediated Carrier Type "object." For
example, microscopic three-dimensional forms may have the carrier type
"microscope slide" which in turns requires an intermediary device.

At all points, if one is surprised by what is in RDA, one should keep in mind
that RDA is drawing upon the depths of what was buried in AACR2 and MARC, and
re-assigning all that pre-existing data debris into categories that reflects
better on the fact that the same content can be found in multiple carriers.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library