FRBR defines the four user tasks for searching and making use of
bibliographic records. They may not be so typical in Google or Yahoo. Also,
they are general tasks. They generalize tasks that user would perform when
searching and making use of bibliographic records.

In an OPAC environment, we can understand "find" as searching (by title,
author, whatever users already know). The searching can be at the work (for
example, by author), expression (for example, limited by languages), or
manifestation (for example, limited by publication years) level. When user
get a list of searching result, they need to select a manifestation that
meets their needs.This process is "identify". Users make a discrimination
and decision based on descriptions in bibliographic records. In this
process, users may navigate from one record to related records. After users
make a decision, users need to select one they want, and then request
access to a manifest ion or an particular item (from a particular library).
The "select" is generally at the manifestation level. Users may not require
a particular copy. But when users obtain a resource such as a book or DVD,
they actually have an item. The "request" process includes inter-library
loan and online access to digital resources. So far, I think that the
process for searching and making use of bibliographic records is
fulfilled.

The above is my (maybe limited) understanding of user tasks defined in FRBR
:)

Thank you!

Joan Wang
Illinois Heartland Library System