Meanwhile, why not follow the guidelines in the LCRI to chapter 2 of AACR2
on formal notes:
And also consult a book entitled: Notes for catalogers
Formal Contents Note
Transcribe a formal contents note as follows:
1)  use the appropriate value in indicator 1 of the MARC 21 505 field
(Formatted Contents Note) to indicate the character of the note, e.g.,
"Contents:"; "Incomplete contents:"; "Partial contents:";
2) Record the title proper that appears in the table of contents, unless
another source gives a more authoritative account of the data; however, if
the title appears on the title page, normally use the title page title;
give other title information only when the title proper would be
meaningless without it.
3)  Include a first statement of responsibility (cf.
1.1F<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?&view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=aacr21PERIOD1F&hash=1PERIOD1F>)
if it differs in fact from the statement included in the title and
statement of responsibility or edition areas; omit names according to
1.1F5<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?&view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=aacr21PERIOD1F5&hash=1PERIOD1F5>
.
4)  Omit introductions already included in the body of the entry; generally
omit prefatory and similar matter.
5)  For publications in one volume
   a)  omit chapter and section numbering;
   b)  if the extent of the part being listed occupies a disproportionately
large portion of the publication, include the extent within parentheses
after the title (or after the title and statement of responsibility);
record an unnumbered page or leaf within brackets;
   c)  separate the items with a space-dash-space.
6)  For publications in two or more volumes
   a)  give the volume designation that is found on the item, except use
appendix B abbreviations for the terms and substitute arabic numerals for
roman; if there is no abbreviation for the term, give only the number if
the term is long; if the roman numeral is required for clarity, retain it;
separate the volume designation from the title by a period-space;
   b)  if the number of physical volumes differs from the number of
bibliographic volumes, include the number of physical volumes within
parentheses after the title (or after the title and statement of
responsibility);
   c)  if the volumes are of different editions (cf. LCRI
2.2<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=Lcri2PERIOD2&hash=2PERIOD2>),
include within parentheses edition statements and dates of publication,
distribution, etc., after the title (or title and statement of
responsibility);
   d)  separate each volume with a space-dash-space; if the set is
incomplete, put the space-dash-space before each title (other than the
first) that is being recorded and leave four spaces for the missing volume;
if two or more titles are being transcribed for one volume, apply the
punctuation conventions from
1.1G3<http://desktop.loc.gov/template.htm?&view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=aacr21PERIOD1G3&hash=1PERIOD1G3>such
that the titles by the same person, body, etc., are separated by a
space-semicolon-space and titles by different persons, bodies, etc., are
separated by a period-space.
When some of the volumes in a multipart publication have their own titles
and some of the volumes do not and it is decided to make a formal contents
note, use the statement "[without special title]" to represent the untitled
volumes.

--
Gene Fieg
Cataloger/Serials Librarian

Claremont School of Theology and Claremont Lincoln University do not
represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any of the information
or content contained in this forwarded email.  The forwarded email is that
of the original sender and does not represent the views of Claremont School
of Theology or Claremont Lincoln University.  It has been forwarded as a
courtesy for information only.