Steven,

I see your point about retrieval. In a simple search covering all keywords, it wouldn't make any difference, but in other kinds of searches there might be problems. Perhaps one possibility would be to transcribe the conference name as s-o-r, but additionally give it as a variant title? This might also cover the curious "double nature" of the statement which Ben pointed out.

By the way, RAK also gives clear guidance for a case like "proceedings of the XY conference", which you've mentioned. If such a statement appears together with a specific title, it would be given as other title information.

And then, we have a third case, which looks like this:

12th CONFERENCE ON XY
Berlin, 12-15 May 2008

Here, the name of the conference would become the title proper and the statement of place and date would be given as other title information.

So, in fact, the conference name can also appear either as title proper, as other title information or as statement of responsibility according to the German rules - depending on the situation. But the difference to AACR2 and RDA is, I think, that RAK explicitly explains these cases and gives a rule for each of them. So, at least in theory, there should be more uniformity in their treatment than can be found in the Anglo-American world. However, in practice I think that the rules have not always been followed all that closely. So there is some variation in German catalogs, as well.

Heidrun

Steven Arakawa wrote:
Based on the layout in the scan, I would have transcribed the 100. Deutscher Bibliothekartag as the title proper,
Bibliotheken fur die Zukunft as the other title, and Herausgaben von Ulrich Hohoff  etc as the statement of
responsibility.  I would have provided variant access for the other title. I think the user in the U.S. who has seen
the title page but who isn't relying on keyword  is going to search 100. Deutscher ... and Bibliotheken fur die ... as
left anchor titles.  Since the conference is going to be the main entry, it should be retrievable on a name search if
it occurs to anyone that it's a name.  I don't see how this changes significantly in RDA. If the title page was in the
form Future of libraries  proceedings of the 100. German Library Conference there would be a better case for entering
"proceedings of ... etc" in MARC 245 $c. But in my judgment the search is more likely to be on title keyword,
so I would have entered "proceedings of the ..." in MARC 245 $b. Or, if the name of the conference was
searched just as keyword, with a large number of hits, I think the user would be more likely to select the title facet
rather than the author facet to refine the search, another reason to enter the name of the conference in a field
indexed as title.  In RDA one can add a relationship designator "author" or "creator" to a
conference AAP, but that doesn't mean the non-cataloger will search as if the conference was an author on the first
couple of tries.

Steven Arakawa
Catalog Librarian for Training & Documentation
Catalog & Metada Services
Sterling Memorial Library. Yale University
P.O. Box 208240 New Haven, CT 06520-8240
(203) 432-8286 steven.arak...@yale.edu