From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Heidrun Wiesenmüller
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 2:47 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] Illustration terms in 7.15.1.3

I find it really difficult to understand what is meant by some of the terms for
the various kinds of illustrations in 7.15 (in German cataloging, we only
distinguish four kinds of illustrations). The German RDA translation isn't much
help either.

So, could anybody help with my questions?

1. charts vs. graphs: I believe both are some kind of diagrams.
Wikipedia distinguishes "graph-based diagrams" and "chart-like diagrams"
- is that what is meant by the distinction?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagram
If so, is it really necesssary to distinguish this (wouldn't "diagrams"
be good enough to cover both types)?

2. forms: Does that really refer to forms as in "fill in this form, please"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_(document)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_%28document%29>
If so, I'm not sure I would have counted this as an illustration at all.
I think it's not much different from "tables containing only words and/or
numbers", which we're told to ignore.

3. illuminations: I assume that this refers to manuscripts (or facsimiles of
manuscripts), so I would use it for miniatures, decorated initials a.s.o. Is
that the correct interpretation?

4. samples: Here, I must say, I'm totally at a loss. If it's used in the
ordinary meaning,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_(material)
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_%28material%29>
I find it very difficult to think of an example in the field of illustrations .

Many thanks for your help!

Heidrun

--
Prof. Heidrun Wiesenmueller M.A.