Hi all, I've got a question regarding ending punctuation in the 250 field. RDA D.1.2.1 indicates that in ISBD display, an full stop would be added after an edition statement, even if the statement ends in an abbreviation:

3rd ed.. --
not
3rd ed. --

LC-PCC Policy Statement for 1.7.1 says: "If either field 245 or 250 does not end in a period, add one."

Am I correct in my thinking that the implication of this policy statement is that if an edition statement ends in an abbreviation, a second period would NOT be added? In other words, which of the following is expected in a PCC record?:

250 ## $a 3rd ed..
  or
250 ## $a 3rd ed.

[Note: the examples are predicated on the abbreviation being found and transcribed as is from the resource].

Thanks,

Adam

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Adam L. Schiff