From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Kathie Coblentz
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:33 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Pseudonyms under RDA

On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 21:45:08 +0000, Arakawa, Steven <steven.arak...@yale.edu>
wrote:

"The question came up, as I recall, at one of the Bibco training sessions, with
Voltaire as the example. If I recall correctly, the trainer referred to RDA
9.2.2.3: "When choosing the preferred name for the person, generally choose the
name by which the person is commonly known. The name chosen can be the person’s
real name, pseudonym, title of nobility, nickname, initials, or other
appellation." At this point in time, the author is no longer known by his
various pseudonyms; he is 'commonly known' as 'Voltaire.' "

That is one way to look at it (and I like it). However there is that word
"generally," and the same 9.2.2.3 goes on to say:

"When a person is known by more than one name, see additional instructions on
choosing the preferred name at 9.2.2.6–9.2.2.8."

Which takes me to the instructions on "Individuals with More Than One Identity"
in 9.2.2.8. And there is no caveat there to apply them only in cases where the
cataloger has decided that the individual is not "commonly known" only by his
real identity.

One of the things impressed on me in RDA training was that the distinction
between "contemporary authors" and others was no longer made when deciding the
fate of authors who used pseudonyms. Therefore, for non-contemporaries, the
instruction to "choose, as the basis for the heading, the name by which that
person has come to be identified in later editions of his or her works, in
critical works, or in other reference source" no longer exists.

Kathie Coblentz, Rare Materials Cataloger Collections Strategy/Special Formats
Processing The New York Public Library, Stephen A. Schwarzman Building 5th
Avenue and 42nd Street, Room 313 New York, NY  10018 athiecoble...@nypl.org

My opinions, not NYPL's