From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of FOGLER, PATRICIA A GS-11
USAF AETC AUL/LTSC
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2013 12:55 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] RDA name authorities |c (Fictitious character)

This is clearly confusing more than myself.   I appreciate the forwarding of
the PCC list post.   And I’m following this continued conversation with
interest.

When a fictitious character is already established in the subject authority
file & the subject record is being cancelled & a “new one” reestablished in the
name auth file it would seem to me that this is more a revision and less a new
entry.

This practical reality of a number of authority fields in existing records that
need to be changed, should be part of the decision-making process.

Perhaps one ought not to get bogged down in the practical, but really: it
doubles the authority work (one cannot change 650s to 600s in Voyager, at least
I have not come across a way to do this with Cataloger’s Toolkit)     Sherlock
Holmes is an excellent example that illuminates this change more obviously than
some might.

This creates odd records such as (OCoLC)436030124 for which we have 6xxs for
fictitious characters that are variously formatted.   Two fictitious characters
along with Sherlock who has now gained mortal status:

650 _0‡a Russell, Mary (Fictitious character) ‡v Fiction.
60010‡a Holmes, Sherlock ‡v Fiction.
650_0‡a Holmes, Mycroft (Fictitious character) ‡v Fiction.

Presumably Russell and Mycroft will get 600 treatment eventually.  Whether
they’ll be fictitious or not, remains to be seen.  Excellent series, by the way.

I look forward to seeing how the British Library proposal is received next
month.

//SIGNED//
Patricia Fogler
Chief, Cataloging Section  (AUL/LTSC)
Muir S. Fairchild Research Information Center
DSN 493-2135   Comm (334) 953-2135