Heidrun said:

>But not every time - that is just the problem. For example, in
>11.2.2.5.4 RDA says: "The conventional name of a government is the
name >of the area over which the government exercises jurisdiction"

mm.  The difference between 110/610/710 vs. 651.  I'm will miss
MARCese for expressing these distinctions if we ever leave MARC, e.g.,
130 vs. 240 which require a phrase to distinguish.

I don't think you should be overly influenced by RDA's fuzzy language
and logic.  Jurisdiction could be thought of as what government does;
both the government and the jurisdiction governed are "France" in the
case you mention.  Government names sometimes differ from the commonly
used area name, e.g, "Republic of ...", "Peoples ...".  We certainly
don't keep our 651s up-to-date with all governmental name changes.