I regularly use rdiff-backup to backup a 400GB collection of files. Recently, I installed the beagle desktop search tool and in reading through the FAQ I found this: "writing extended attributes changes the ctime of a file; this might cause problem if you are using any backup utility that compares ctime to backup changed files."

Is this something I should worry about? I.e. Does rdiff-backup rely on ctime values in such a way that a file indexer would cause problems? A simple yes or no would be great, but if someone has the time to explain why the answer is what it is, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks.