On 12/02/10 00:35, Scott Carpenter wrote:
> Adrian Klaver spake thusly on 02/11/2010 05:16 PM:
>> On Thursday 11 February 2010 3:12:57 pm Cybertinus wrote:
>>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> I've tried everything and nothing seams to work. How can I backup an
>>> directory with a space in it's name? I've tried /path/to/dir\ with\
>>> space/ or "/path/to/dir with space", but rdiff-backup crashes on this.
>>> It can't find the correct directory. It either thinks that every
>>> directory is a separate directory or it thinks that the " are part of
>>> the directory name. Both cases make the backup fail. How to fix?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Cybertinus
>>>

>> How about:
>> /path/to/"dir with space"
>

> I know rdiff-backup handles spaces in filenames fine in the tree, but
> was wondering if this was an issue just with the source dir as
> specified on the command line, so I tried with creating:
>
> temp
> -->A B
> -->C
>
> And creating file "A B/test.txt", and then:
>
> temp$ rdiff-backup A\ B C
>
> And that worked fine. (Note: I didn't try with absolute paths.) I also
> created subdirs under "A B" with a file in one of them and that was
> okay also. Have you experimented with some different scenarios on a
> smaller scale to see if you can reproduce it in different ways?
>
> Scott

> Wiki URL:
> http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
Hello,

Thanks for the tips Adrian and Scott. And sorry for my late reply, I had
to do some other things. I haven't tested Scotts solution, but I trust
that it works.

I found the core of my problem. I've written a few bash scripts to
create my backups. 1 file is the core of the backupscript and this is
the file which actually backups everything. The other files (I have 3 of
them now) are nothing more then configuration files. In that
configuration file I configure which directories should be backuped and
how long they should be saved. This way I have 1 script for the actual
backup and I can create different backup sets :). A config file looked
like this:
#!/bin/bash

export DIRS='/home/mysql /home/svn /home/cybertinus/bash /root/bash
/home/cybertinus/localhost /home/cybertinus/mail /home/cybertinus/dir
with spaces'
export TIME_SAVED='2D'
(This is my file for my hourly backup)
And in my core script I just looped through all the fields in DIRS, and
calling rdiff-backup for each directory. The problem was that I used the
space as the seperator for different directories. All I needed to do was
change it to a , or a : and then I could use spaces in my directories.
So I added the line IFS=, to my core script, changed all the configs to
seperate the dirs with , and now everything works :).

Thnx for helping me :).

Regards, Cybertinus