Hi Josh,

> Development on rdiff-backup has stagnated for the last while. I think that
> this is attributable to several reasons:
> * Andrew has dropped of the face of the earth, (he's working on graduate
> studies, IIRC) and I've been busy with other things. Since we're the two core
> maintainers, that tends to slow things down.
> * I started work on unicode support, but realized that it requires a
> transition period. In current CVS, it's broken just enough to make life
> difficult.
> * The code isn't structured all that well. This is at least partially because
> we don't have good automated tests, so it's hard to refactor without breaking
> things.
> * We're still using CVS :-)

Thanks for bringing up these issues to get development started again. I didn't
intend to hijack your thread...

I'm interested in collaborating with you going forward if you're interested in
the same. I will attempt to migrate my git repo to hg if that's what you want,
although I haven't used hg before, so it will be new for me. I am reluctant to
publish the code under the rdiff-backup name if you are not interested in
working on the new codebase. How would you like me to handle that? Would you
like a copy of the code so you can have a look over it before you make any
decisions? It's still pretty new, and there is definitely more work to do to
implement the features I have planned and to bring it up to par on all of the
currently supported platforms.

A little background on why I went down this road: you may remember my posts
back in Feb on the full-verify patch. I had a working patch that I had
contributed and started using on my system. I was very careful when I developed
that patch because I wanted it to be useful on a production system. Then, the
first time I tried to start a new repository with that patch applied I got all
kinds of strange errors. This really made me worried because I had no idea why
it happened--the errors just didn't make any sense. Since then, I tried again
with the same setup, and it worked the second time! That's even more
frightening... to me it says there is something non-deterministic in the design
of rdiff-backup (it could be something in my setup too, although I've gone over
it and even run it by others many times). Since then I've been using a version
of rdiff-backup 1.2.8 with my full-verify patch (and some minor tweaks), and
its been working well. Surprisingly, and somewhat unbelievably, the new verify
mechanism detected a hard drive going bad on my system, so I'm glad I'm using
it. Soon after the verify started failing I had other warnings as well (rsync
started failing too) so it's not like I wouldn't have known if I didn't have
the full-verify, but it gave me the earliest warning.

After that experience I decided that I would try a redesign to see how far I
could get. If it never goes anywhere, no problem, it has been fun to solve the
problems and learn how the rsync algorithm works and is used in rdiff-backup.
But I think this new design is much cleaner, and opens up a lot of potential
for long-awaited features to be added to rdiff-backup. I'm be interested to
hear your thoughts.

~ Daniel