I try to use rdiff-backup (the downloadable .exe) to copy local windows folders
to a shared folder on another windows machine.

I am using a batch file for each of the shared folders, e.g.:

c:\windows\rdiff-backup.exe "i:/personal" "g:/bkp/personal"

It works without any problems.

In the beginning I had problems with long paths and received the known error
messages like:

File "rdiff_backup\Main.pyc", line 302, in error_check_Main
File "rdiff_backup\Main.pyc", line 322, in Main

I shortened the paths and everything worked, except one folder, which lead to
the same error message.
Verbose 9 did not help to solve the problem, It just didn't create the copy.

So I started to copy each of the three subfolder in a single line in the batch
file and everything worked, except one folder. So I made a line for each of the
19 subfolders in there and found the troublemaker:

i:/lifestyle/grafik/__mailorder/

rdiff seems not to be able to create that directory, although I recursively
reset all access rights to correct values which worked for all the other
folders.

I solved the problem by creating the folder manually, now rdiff doesn't
complain anymore.

I am not sure if it has to do with the two leading underscores. I have other
folders with two leading underscores, but these are not in the third level but
in the second level, e.g.:

I:\archiv-Sonstiges\__Martin\

They make no trouble.

I hope this error report is helpful.

Regards

Martin

Martin Hauptmann

IT-Abteilung

Publikat
Verlags- und Handels GmbH und Co. KG
Hauptstraße 204
D-63814 Mainaschaff

Tel.: +49 (0) 6021 / 90040-135
Fax: +49 (0) 6021 / 90040-20
Mobil: +49 (0)163 26 27 244

E-Mail: mar...@stylefile.de<mailto:mar...@stylefile.de>
www.publikat.de<http://www.publikat.de>
www.stylefile.de <http://www.stylefile.de>
Publikat Verlags- und Handels GmbH & Co. KG, Mainaschaff, HRA 3648 Amtsgericht
Aschaffenburg
Geschäftsführerin: Publikat Verwaltungs GmbH, Mainaschaff, HRB 9494 Amtsgericht
Aschaffenburg
Geschäftsführer: Markus Christl, Jörn Stiller