Hi Domonic,

It turns out that my ZFS filesystem doesn't allow renaming of symlinks *if* the
target *doesn't* exist.  I've traced the problem to rpath.rename, when it's
trying to rename the tmp.N symlink to the real name, and the target doesn't
exist yet because it's later in the list.

Is it possible to prioritize the writing of symlinks' targets *ahead* of the
symlinks themselves?

I don't know the code well enough yet where that could be handled, so I'm
asking for help.  Maybe this can be resolved, but I'm also thinking of symlink
targets located in a different subtree than the symlink.  Does rdiff-backup
know that linkage exists without ingesting all of source directories' metadata?

Kevin