Perhaps I misunderstand. Are you looking for a fast Python solution to
creating a distance matrix? If so, you might want to use numpy (which
uses C extensions), where the distance between two vectors x, y is
simply sqrt(sum((x-y)**2)). See
http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2007-April/027170.html
for a procedure to generate a full distance matrix.

Noel