[redirecting to list since this may be of general interest]

Yes, I generally store molecules in databases in blob columns
containing the pickles. The primary reason for this is that one can
then skip all the work of parsing the molecule, perceiving the
chemistry, etc.

I don't have a good general answer for how long pickles are. It really
depends on the molecules. One example I have handy is a sqlite
database containing the pubchem screening deck. The molecules are
stores as follows:
sqlite> .schema
CREATE TABLE molecules (compound_id varchar not null unique,molpkl blob);
sqlite> select count(*) from molecules;
214178

% ls -l Compounds.sqlt
-rw-r--r--  1 landrgr1  staff  167240704 Nov 22 07:28 Compounds.sqlt

There is, no doubt, some overhead associated with the sqlite data, but
this gives a rough estimate.

-greg