Ah, what timing.

I have just started thinking about updating the C++ drawing code (which I
agree is extremely basic) to improve the quality and make it more generally
useful. I agree that the abstract base class idea makes a lot of sense.
This is, in essence, what the Python code does already.

There's definitely interest from my side. I think it would help a lot.

If there's a way to do so, I would happy to help out as you proceed. I
certainly would be more than willing to add "refinements" like dealing with
chiral centers.

-greg