From: Peter Shenkin [shen...@gmail.com]
Sent: 15 June 2015 17:11
To: Greg Landrum
Cc: RDKit Discuss
Subject: Re: [Rdkit-discuss] SMILES: Why are rings consisting of wildcards
assumed to be aromatic?

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Greg Landrum
<greg.land...@gmail.com<mailto:greg.land...@gmail.com>> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 5:54 PM, Peter Shenkin
<shen...@gmail.com<mailto:shen...@gmail.com>> wrote:
If I canonicalize *1**1 in RDKit, I get  [*]1:[*]:[*]:1.

I expected [*]1[*][*]1.

This is certainly a bug and I've put it on the list of stuff to fix:
https://github.com/rdkit/rdkit/issues/518

Thanks much, Greg. That is very helpful.

Pursuing another remark you made, RDKit canonicalizes C1=C*C=C1 as [*]1cccc1.
This may also be unwarranted, because the wildcard could be another C, in which
case the structure would not be aromatic.

-P.

The Institute of Cancer Research: Royal Cancer Hospital, a charitable Company
Limited by Guarantee, Registered in England under Company No. 534147 with its
Registered Office at 123 Old Brompton Road, London SW7 3RP.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.  If the
message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the
message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your
computer and network.