Hi David,

thanks for your answer and yes, this seems to be the case.

It could be solved by either using raw strings or escaping with
smiles = smiles.encode('string-escape')

However, I thought that it might be something that could be done by the
toolkit to avoid errors that could go unnoticed for a long time :-)

Best,
Michael