Hi Steven,

No. 1) is exactly what I'm doing to preform rigid protein minimization of
ligands. I use ff.AddFixedPoint() to fix all protein atoms (you could omit
the desired side chains). For better performance I also use following
params:

ff = AllChem.MMFFGetMoleculeForceField(comp, ff_mp, nonBondedThresh=10.,
ignoreInterfragInteractions=False)

where comp is complex Mol, ff_mp are force-field molecular properties.

PS. There is no C++ API to my knowledge, although Greg/Paolo might have
something in his undocumented wizard hat ;)

----
Pozdrawiam,  |  Best regards,
Maciek Wójcikowski
mac...@wojcikowski.pl