I'm slightly confused over the cartridge search functions.

The docs give examples like this:

select * from rdk.mols where m@>'c1cccc2c1CNCCN2'
select * from rdk.mols where m@>'c1[o,s]ncn1'::qmol

Q1: As SSS by definition uses a query mol, I'm not totally clear what's
happening in the first of these.

Q2: Would the result be any different if if the smiles were cast to qmol?

Q3: using this form is only smiles or smarts supported or could the
param be molfile (e.g. when using bind variables), or would the
qmol_from_ctab() function need to be used.

There are functions mol_from_smiles(), mol_from_smarts() and
mol_from_ctab().
There are also qmol_from_smiles(), and qmol_from_ctab().

Q4: why is there no qmol_from_smarts().

Thanks
Tim