I can confirm that removing the conditional compilation directive
#ifdef RDK_BUILD_DESCRIPTORS3D
(and the corresponding #endif)
from PMI.h allows compilation without having to worry about the
-DRDK_BUILD_DESCRIPTORS3D directive. I think this is a worthwhile change.

Any thoughts about the numerical PMI and NPR values produced by the current
implementation? I still can't make any sense of them.

Chris

On 9 January 2017 at 05:18, Greg Landrum <greg.land...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> the standard C++ API documentation, but something seems to have gone wrong
>> when I ran doxygen. I'll look into this. That documentation is generated
>> from the header file, so you can just look there:
>> https://github.com/rdkit/rdkit/blob/master/Code/GraphMol/
>> Descriptors/PMI.h
>> not that there's a huge amount of documentation available.
>>
>> W.r.t. efficiency: you do need to call the functions individually, but
>> the expensive calculation of the moments will only be done once, so it
>> doesn't end up doing repeated work.
>>
>> And, finally, on the values themselves: I will have to take a look at
>> that.
>> -greg
>>

>> On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Chris Earnshaw <cgearns...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> A while ago I had a project which needed PMI descriptors (specifically
>>> NPR1 and NPR2) which were not available in the main branch of RDKit at the
>>> time. At the time I used the fork by 'hahnda6' which provided the
>>> calcPMIDescriptors() function, and this worked well. Now that PMI
>>> descriptors are available in the main RDKit distrubution I thought I'd
>>> rewrite my code to use the official version.
>>>
>>> Building the new RDKit was no problem, but things went downhill shortly
>>> after that. There's every chance that I've missed the relevant
>>> documentation (I hope someone can point me in the right direction if so)
>>> and done something stupid!
>>>
>>> The issues are -
>>> 1) I can't find any documentation of the C++ API - the only reference to
>>> PMI in the online RDKit documentation appears to be to the PMI.h file
>>> 2) Having written a program using the PMI[123] and/or NPR[12] functions,
>>> I couldn't get it to compile until I added the  -DRDK_BUILD_DESCRIPTORS3D
>>> directive -
>>> g++ -o sdf_pmi_blob sdf_pmi.cpp -I/packages/rdkit/include/rdkit
>>> -L/packages/rdkit/lib -lDescriptors -lGraphMol -lFileParsers
>>> -Wno-deprecated -O2 -DRDK_BUILD_DESCRIPTORS3D
>>> This seems a bit odd...
>>> 3) Is it necessary to make separate calls to the individual PMI() and/or
>>> NPR() functions? Surely this results in duplication of some of the heavier
>>> calculations? I can't find any equivalent of calcPMIDescriptors() which
>>> returned a 'Moments' struct containing all the PMI and NPR values in one go.
>>> 4) The big one! The returned results look very odd. They appear to
>>> relate more to the dimensions of the molecule than the moments of inertia.
>>> For a rod-like molecule (dimethylacetylene) I'd expect two large and one
>>> small PMI (e.g. PMI1: 6.61651   PMI2: 150.434   PMI3: 150.434  NPR1:
>>> 0.0439828  NPR2: 0.999998) but actually get PMI1: 0.061647  PMI2: 0.061652
>>> PMI3: 25.3699  NPR1: 0.002430  NPR2: 0.002430.
>>> For disk-like (benzene) the result should be one large and two medium
>>> (e.g. PMI1: 89.1448  PMI2: 89.1495  PMI3: 178.294  NPR1: 0.499987  NPR2:
>>> 0.500013) but get PMI1: 2.37457e-10  PMI2: 11.0844  PMI3: 11.0851  NPR1: