Have you tried a merge (after branching the master to something like
master-test-merge and then merge modern_cxx) ? How horrible does it look?
It might be quiet okay. Or do you really have a lot of changes in the
current master you don't have/want to have in modern_cxx and the future
master. And well, it just was a concern by me that avoiding "early" horrors
might cause bigger horrors later :-). Renaming the master in a GIT
repository is something I wouldn't do easily - I would regard it more like
a very, very last resort because if the master is renamed (or replaced by
another branch), any branch in any remote repository by anybody who ever
branched from master (including the RDKit github repository) becomes
potentially (very likely) invalid by this step. Only if this is a small
concern, I would do it (I doubt it is in case of RDKit).

Markus