On Apr 26, 2018, at 10:09, Marco Stenta <marco.ste...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
> I just installed on conda env the new rdkit version
> and wanted to try mmpdb but upon testing I got the error below
> reverting back to rdkit=2017.09.3.0 it works fine (I still get some errors
> but it goes thrugh)
>
> It is a bug, am I doing anything obviously wrong?

You did nothing wrong.

The latest version of RDKit changed the SMILES output for wildcard atoms from
"*" to "[*]".

I missed this change in the release notes. It's further documented at
 https://github.com/rdkit/rdkit/pull/1788

The mmpdb code does a lot of manipulation of the SMILES at the syntax level,
and parts of the code expected that wildcard atoms would only be in the form
"[*]".

I've put together a first go at a fix, which should work for both older and the
newest versions of RDKit.

The automated mmpdb test suite isn't that good, so I still need to do some
manual testing. I won't be able to get to this until (hopefully) this evening.

Until then, if you could try out

 http://dalkescientific.com/mmpdb-2.1b1.tar.gz
or my fork of the repository at
 https://github.com/adalke/mmpdb

and let me know if there are failures, that would help me with the testing.

Cheers,

                                Andrew
                                da...@dalkescientific.com