Dear Alfredo,

Although not strictly based on the number of atoms, but on the length of
SMILES string, the simplest way is using Python built-in functions as
follows:

smiles = 'CCC.CC'
fragment = max(smiles.split('.'), key=len)
print (fragment)

Best regards,

Hideyoshi

thank you Paolo for this help, I will study the code and try it,