Hi all,

I’m playing with the Coordgen library inside rdkit and I have a couple of
questions I could not figure out by myself. Hopefully someone more experienced
will know.

[comment] The way one can pass a scaling factor to the bond size is very
unintuitive. If I don’t provide any parameter a single bond length is 1.0. If I
pass 1.5 as a scaling factor, I’d expect to get single bond of a length 1.5.
But instead I get 33.3. (measured in pymol)

Snippet:

from rdkit import Chem

from rdkit.Chem import rdCoordGen

mol = Chem.MolFromSmiles('Cc1ccccc1', sanitize=True)

mol1 = Chem.MolFromSmiles('Cc1ccccc1', sanitize=True)

p = rdCoordGen.CoordGenParams()

p.coordgenScaling = 1.5

rdCoordGen.AddCoords(mol)

rdCoordGen.AddCoords(mol1, p)

Chem.MolToMolFile(mol, 'default.sdf') # bond length 1

Chem.MolToMolFile(mol1, '1.5_scale.sdf') # bond length 33.3

                Is that intended?

Is there any way to modify templates, which can be passed as the
‘templateFileDir’ parameter to match general groups and bonds as described
here: http://rdkit.blogspot.com/2016/07/tuning-substructure-queries-ii.html?