Hi All,

I’m looking for a bit more clarity regarding double bond stereochem in RDKit.
Currently, my understanding is that there are 3 ways to currently store this
information:

  1.  STEREOE/STEREOZ tags + stereo atoms on either side of bond set by CIP
ranks, as computed when calling MolFromSmiles to make a new molecule or
AssignStereochemistry on an existing molecule
  2.  Manually set STEREOCIS/STEREOTRANS tags + manually set stereo atoms
  3.  ENDUPRIGHT/etc. single bond directionality tags, which are set when
reading a molecule from smiles/inchi/mol file

Is one of these methods the “ground truth” that is looked for by RDKit
functions that care about this info, like the substructure matching code or the
SMILES writing code?

I am currently working on code that mutates molecules using a predetermined
list of changes to be made to the molecule.  I’d like to be able to include
bond stereochemistry changing/creation/destruction here, and was thinking of
doing so using the STEREOCIS/STEREOTRANS tags (and also providing the reference
stereo atoms).  Before I do this I want to make sure that molecules with these
tags will be handled correctly by other RDKit functions downstream.  Would
these tags be a good choice here?  Are there any caveats I should keep in mind
as I work with this information?

Thanks!

- Kovas