Hi,

I still believe that Acepentalene should not be recognized by RDKit as
aromatic, because there is no ring that contains 4n+2 electrons. The fact
that counting bonds not in the outer ring gives 10 electrons should not
make the outer ring aromatic. Moreover, RDKit seems to perceive aromaticity
correctly (using this criterion) in several similar systems which have 4n+2
electrons in the outer ring but in which counting additional electrons in
bonds not in the ring would, following Greg's interpretation, make them
non-aromatic.

Here are several examples, starting with a recap of Acepentalene.

For Acepentalene itself, as Greg pointed out, there are 9 electrons in the
outer ring, but since no single ring contains 4n+2 electrons, I do not
believe it should be considered aromatic.

[image: acepentalene.png]

---
Now consider the closely related compound created by making one of those
5-membered rings a 7-membered ring. It's called aceazulylene (yes, I had to
look this up! 😉). The outer ring is aromatic in my view, because it has 10
(i.e., 4n+2) electrons. The ring system has 12 electrons, and so it would
seem that based on Greg's discusiion of acepentalene, it should be
perceived as non-aromatic. Yet RDKit perceives it as aromatic — correctly,
in my view. As a side issue, I would have thought that, as in azulene, the
internal bonds and the central carbon would not have been perceived as
aromatic by RDKit; this is the same issue that Andrew originally raised for
Acepentalene.

[image: aceazulylene.png]

---
Now consider dicyclopenta[cd,gh]pentalene from Schleyer's paper (referenced
in Andrew Dalke's recent email). Again, this molecule has 12 electrons in
total, so that again, based on Greg's discussion of acepentalene, I'd have
thought RDKit would consider it non-aromatic. But the outer ring consists
of a pi system containing 4n+2 electrons, and so, in my view, it should be
considered aromatic. Schleyer's calculations agree. And again, as in
aceazulylene, RDKit in fact correctly perceives it as aromatic, although,
as in aceazulylene,, the internal bonds and carbons should probably not be
perceived as aromatic.

[image: dicyclopenta[cd,gh]pentalene.png]

As a closing comment, it seems to me that if ring bonds are counted and
off-ring bonds are ignored, electron counting would correctly infer the
aromaticity or not of these compounds. MO calculations, as per Schleyer,
would not be required for this purpose – at least for these compounds!

-P.