Hi Lukas,

Sorry for the slow reply on this one.
The algorithm the RDKit uses to assign the number of radical electrons to
an atom is really only useful for main-group elements. As you can see, it
generates results that don't make much sense for transition metals.

I guess a more sensible approach here would be to just use the minimum
number of unpaired valence electrons. Since Mn+2 has 5 valence electrons
this would result in a radical count of 1.

Here's the github issue for this:
https://github.com/rdkit/rdkit/issues/3330