Paolo's gist includes a vocabulary mistake[1] that I think is confusing
things here.

In the RDKit the stereochemistry of a double bond can be unspecified,
unknown, or known. Unspecified means that you haven't said anything about
what the stereo is; unknown means that you've actively provided the
information that you don't know what the stereochemistry is; known is clear.

The RDKit only draws crossed bonds in molecule drawings when the
stereochemistry of the double bond is unknown.

The problem here is that in standard SMILES there is no way to actively
specify that you don't know the stereochemistry of a double bond (the same
thing applies to stereocenters). You can either provide information about
the stereochemistry by using "/" and "\" bonds, or you provide no
information. So the SMILES C/C=C/C produces a double bond with known
stereochemistry but CC=CC produces a double bond with unspecified
stereochemistry.

If, based on what you know about the SMILES that you are parsing, you would
like to change the convention and have unspecified double bonds be marked
as unknown, it's straightforward to write a script that loops over the
molecule and makes that change (watch out for ring bonds).

-greg
[1] Perhaps "mistake" isn't the right word. It's confusing