Dear community,

I was wondering on how to best insert molecules into a mol field. The
documentation only show how to insert from a preexisting table with a smiles
column and then use "mol_to_smiles".

How can a molecule be inserted directly? eg what format need to be submitted?

Second point is how to make the insertion simple so that not all applications
connecting to the DB need to be chemically aware (have rdkit available). I have
played around with simply having a smiles column and mol field column and then
use a trigger function to convert the smiles to a mol. But this duplicates all
the data (and even more wasteful with ctab file). Is it possible to not
duplicate the data and be able to insert smiles/ctab directly?

Best Regards,

Thomas