To help further, I'm just implementing an option
drawOptions().fixedFontSize to allow you to insist on a font size, in
pixels.  I will remember to expose it to Python!
Layout is a different department, I'm afraid I can't help there.  It would
probably be better to start a new thread with that, so as to catch the
attention of the right people.