Thomas -
It looks like SubstanceGroups aren't currently creatable from Python - only
copyable:

    from rdkit import Chem
    m = Chem.MolFromSmiles('C')
    Chem.SubstanceGroup(m, 'Dat')

    RuntimeError                              Traceback (most recent call
last)
    <ipython-input-5-4df1b91b3393> in <module>
    ----> 1 Chem.SubstanceGroup(m, 'Dat')

    RuntimeError: This class cannot be instantiated from Python

I have some example code where we, for example, add bracket coordinates to
an existing sgroup in Python if that would be helpful.

dan nealschneider | senior staff developer

*he/him/his*

[image: Schrödinger, Inc.] <https://schrodinger.com/>