jay peltz wrote:
HI Mark,
I've seen a paper from Sunpower that shows their modules are OK for lower voltages, but above a certain voltage ( around 200 or so) they start to see the static build up, but interestingly only on the panels at the high end of the voltage.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that other panels will see an improvement with doing positive ground, if I understand what you are saying?

This sorta makes sense, in that, supposedly the Sunpower modules are less efficient if the positive leg is not at ground potential. (isn't that right?)... So, the module sitting higher in potential from ground I guess would not be as efficient ?

My question about these Sunpower modules is, what if you just have some kind of faraday shield, or add a backing of grounded aluminum foil ? Does that take care of the efficiency issue ? Does it really have to be "ground" (earth) ?

Otherwise, you would not be able to use these things on an airplane or on a satellite (not that you'd use a module of this sort on a satellite OR an airplane) Sounds like there are some real issues with these PVs for some applications. Or maybe
the reduction on efficiency isn't that big of a deal ?

Also, why would ANY bypass diode in a module get hot unless that module was in a string and shaded, OR, the diodes were just "leaky" ? Are these diodes in the Evergreen modules discreet diodes, or, embedded in every cell,
or what ?

I'm just curious about all of these things.

boB

But I will forward on the information to the telecom in question.

thanks,

jay

Peltz power