Allan,

At 10:35 AM 3/27/2009, you wrote:
Hmmm... now you have me thinking, thank you. I generally have three
additional wire functions carried in the same conduit as the battery cables.
Have done it this way for years and never thought about it, or had any
problems that I have become aware of. I carry the temperature sensor wires
for both the charge controller and inverter temperature sensors in the
conduit, and usually a length of float switch cable (18/1pr shielded type
TC) through the battery box to the Zephyr Power Vent.

I don't think these wires are a problem. I wouldn't put a sensor wire for a battery monitoring system with the inverter cables. NEC 300.3 (C) (1) shows that it would be code to have the different wires in the conduit, as long as they are rated for the highest voltage present. The exception for solar photovoltaic systems, mentioned in the section, refers to source and output circuits not being allowed with other systems. That would not apply here.

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric
OH License 44810
CO License 3773